Old 08-18-19, 08:27 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I just don't think there are any absolutes. I've gone through an "intersection" at full speed, because I was in the middle of absolute nowhere, and there wasn't a car between me and the horizon. The OP hasn't refined our view of his situation-- it could be wide open with sightlines for miles, or it could be semi-blind and he's completely relying on it being a 4-way stop to prevent a car from obliterating him.

I don't rely on traffic signals or signs at all-- if I'm not gonna stop, I'm gonna assume that cross traffic isn't gonna stop either-- so if I'm going, I'm relying on physics. The cross traffic has to either be non-existent, or moving slowly enough, from far away enough that I can make it at a reasonable pace-- no hammering-- I'm not racing traffic like an insane squirrel. I need to be able to make it easily.

So that said, I've never fully "blown" a stop light or sign. I've checked every angle of approach more than once, and absolutely know for certain I can cross safely. To me, blowing an intersection is just putting your head down and hoping for the best. That I will not and would not ever do.