martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Hypothetical storage

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I'm asking for opinions here. I've been dating a lovely lady bicyclist for several months now. The relationship has been progressing nicely, and we've begun negotiations on mutually acceptable conditions for cohabitation. We have the expectation that we will, sometime in the near future, buy and move into our "retirement house". Since we're going to combine our equity from our respective previous houses, we're looking for a nicer home on the waterfront, perhaps $450,000 to $500,000, of a size to accommodate visiting family, etc.

We've hit a bit of a pothole in the negotiations, having to do with the future location of bicycle storage within the house. Specifically, I want to have one room in the house dedicated to working out, with weight bench, etc. In that room, I want to hang all our bikes from the ceiling or mounted on the walls.

She says that this is impossible. According to her, bikes belong in the garage or in a storage building. To me, this is like making my children (if I had any) sleep outside in a tent.

It is worth noting, although perhaps not relevant, that in my current home I have all my bikes hanging in what was formerly the dining room. I got rid of the table and chairs, installed ceiling hooks and my seven bikes line two of the walls. It's a beautiful thing.

So my question is for those of you who are 30 years old or older, who live in a house (not apartment or condo).

Do bikes belong in the house or should they be relegated to the garage or storage building?
Hypothetically?
bikes would be stored to allow their easy exit and entry,
perhaps on ground level floor.
you want to make it easy for her to get her bike out to ride and bring it in after ride.
make sure she has a fairly expensive bike that she really likes.
problem will solve itself.
together with my bike riding partner, 35 years.
her favorite bike is a high end, weights next to nothing carbon wonder.
depending upon weather and riding plans, she parks it under a second story sun room
or hangs it in the walk out basement among our other toys/tools.
remember, approach this from an operational perspective.