View Single Post
Old 03-21-19, 11:32 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
People keep sending that link to me. I have tried on like 4 instances to attempt reading it. Every time I get a little in and just have to walk away. It's immensely pollyannaish - naive. There's plenty wrong and there's plenty of solutions. Fact is we're in an immense downswing that is affecting racing and the industry as a whole.

Will we come out of it? At this point not many think so.

As far as track - it's shown immense growth recently albeit doubling a quarter still leaves you with only $0.50.

I am personally working on a large project for track that I hope will have national implications that could actually affect the long term outlook of the sport in this nation and foster actual development of our future racers.

Accepting applications from billionaire philanthropists. We have a few who have committed to giving us meetings but that's it. As with all things cycling I am not the first to try and I won't be the last. Hopefully it will be big enough though that people in 20 years will be like, "No they tried that already. it had some serious early success but then people just didn't want to do it. that was around the ultimate rise of e-sports and the death of actual sporting. Remember that?"
Not sure how to phrase this w/o saying things I should not. Perhaps you are aware there is an alternate sanctioning body in your immediate vicinity? They do have a billionaire philanthropist on board. Very accessible person.

Last 5 times I visited Northbrook out of nostalgia did not see anything that looked like track racing. More like weightlifters with a super-expensive sideline. The bleachers at Northbrook used to be SRO every Thursday. The show was entertaining. Most in the stands did not know spit about racing, they could appreciate a show.