Old 06-14-19, 11:21 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
https://redshiftsports.com/shockstop...nsion-seatpost

No reviews for this suspension seatpost because it hasn’t delivered yet, but for $160, this will probably give you the most comfort/$. Whether you’ll still be able to pedal with the same forcefulness is another question. I imagine they did some research into that. It’s my belief that in 20-30 years, road bikes will almost all have suspension of some sort, even if quite minimal because everyone will finally realize the extent to which getting beat up by the road slows you down and skittering across the tarmac reduces your grip. So you have the opportunity to be a pioneer.

You can also try the vittoria corsas like many people have recommended. Unfortunately they’re not available in TLR in the 23c size. So you’ll need to go clincher. However, I personally have been running Orange endurace sealant in my continental race tubes to excellent results. I’ve pulled a nail out of the rear tire and it sealed despite the tire being a normal clincher. I frequently run 40 psi front, 50 psi rear depending on conditions (25mm tires but I weigh 62kg). I’ve SLAMMED potholes at these pressures, and I’m sure I dented my rims slightly but they’re cheap and alloy so I’m not too worried. I’ve literally never flatted. OK, one time a staple got caught in my rear tire and I rode it for around 10 miles (“is my rear soft? No it must be in my head.” Until the sidewall collapsed in a turn because I was probably around 10psi).

The point is, you can go *very* low with tire pressure if you use sealant and have somewhat wide rims (17mm rims with fat 23 mm tires is fine). You’ll have to get used to the fact that the tires will feel squishier (because they are). The tires will feel draggier when out of the saddle because the central tread flexes more when leaning the bike. However, if you’re riding on quite rough roads, I’d bet that you’ll be faster over long distances anyway.

Another thing you can look at is maximizing rim width. You should be able to go up to a 21mm rim with a 23mm tire. This will reduce the floppiness of the tire at very low pressures. You could also go with a very light, low profile rim - somewhere around 21 - 25mm deep. Then go with a relatively elastic spoke like sapim Lasers, CX Rays, DT aerolites or even Spinergy spokes which are supposed actually be a lot better.

Last edited by smashndash; 06-14-19 at 11:36 AM.