View Single Post
Old 09-16-12, 05:14 PM
JJScaliger

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 58 Posts
Welch Hollow Part Deux

I haven't had much of a chance to ride lately, except for my short commute to work. I decided to give another attempt at riding this old farm road which had foiled me on my Cinelli earlier this summer, but this time with my sidi mtb shoes, eggbeaters and my Kelly with knobbies. I have been scouting it out on the computer using google satellite images to confirm that it actually existed. A distinct line appeared through the trees where the road should be so I set off today to follow it to one of the other roads it was supposed to meet up with. I rode 55 tough miles today.

After 30 miles I reached Welch Hollow Rd. which starts like this

Then this

and then this.

I flipped over the handlebars at almost the exact same spot I did last time. Rode some more and almost crashed 3 other times before I gave up and walked the Kelly down to the bottom of the hollow. The "road" was just too steep, too loose and too chunky to ride through clean.

After I got through this impossibly technical section, Welch Hollow rd was an enjoyable, wide single track for about 3 miles. It went through the back of Wickaboxet and hooked up with some old country roads I like to ride.

Stone wall on Welch Hollow

Old well on Hopkins Hollow Rd

The smooth section of Welch Hollow Rd

Cahoon Rd on the way home

I'm glad I went back and rode Welch Hollow! I probably won't do it again!

Last edited by JJScaliger; 09-16-12 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Clarity