View Single Post
Old 09-22-12, 06:30 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by scozim
After 2 weeks of smoke from lightning sparked wildfires I decided to "go west" for some clean air. After an idea from Northbend I decided to ride the Iron Horse trail - converted gravel trail from the old Milwaukee railroad. It's pretty easy riding - caviar mountain biking as I like to call it. Total of 44 miles - first half all downhill and the second half an incline of no more than 2% - just enough to slow you down a little. Got the clean air and even some rain and mud so some bike clean up is necessary. The best part was my first opportunity to ride through an old railroad tunnel - this one is said to be 2 miles and I believe it. My light was sufficient but not great. Once the eyes adjusted after the first quarter mile the going was ok with the trail being so smooth.

Tunnel entrance on the downhill side:

The "roughest" part of the trail:

You get to ride through some cool stands of old growth forest

And over several trestles - this one the longest

Signs of a good ride -
It looks like that trail is pretty nice. While I'm riding MUP's less and less, they do have their place. This path looks quite scenic, for sure. Oh, mud on a MTB also is a good thing.