Old 06-02-20, 03:57 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,391 Times in 2,092 Posts
Here's something interesting: The only Sturmey-Archer FW 4-speed I have kicking around here was pieced together from random spare parts I bought from the LBS about 10 years ago:

There was about enough in here to build an FW, with exception to the two special clutch keys - easy enough to fabricate from AW keys - and the tiny "Collar for Compensator Spring," a.k.a. part X.8, also found on the famous ASC hub.

Mark Stonich sent me this diagram of it so I could make my own - hope he doesn't mind my reposting it here, for I'm trying - without the benefit of having the part here - to show just how small this part is.

Despite having a gazillion tools around, I don't have machining tools. Best I can do is to get something similar and file it down.

I knew that 3D printing it would cost more than it should, and would require hours of finishing...and then I found this at McMaster Carr:

With a bit of material shaved off and the shaft diameter opened up a bit, it should work perfectly. I'm hoping the Oilite can tolerate the compensator spring in operation.

-Kurt