View Single Post
Old 06-17-19, 04:01 PM
moto tom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Greetings from Lititz, PA

Recently joined to ask some questions regarding my vintage bike. I bought a Motobecane Grand Jubile' new in '73 or '74. Reynolds 531 lugged frame, Huret derailier, Pivo bars, Stronglight crank etc. Rode it enthusiastically through college years and a bit beyond, but then came job, house and kids and the Moto was relegated to the basement where it hung untouched for over 35 yrs! One day, about two and a half years ago, I decided to pull the dusty old Moto out from the cellar and get it running again. New tires, cables, repacked bearings (and now new Mavic rims) I'm riding about 100 miles/wk, including winter (weather permitting), and enjoying it with renewed vigor! Getting myself back into shape for a 70 mile ride through Lancaster County, PA (Covered Bridge Tour). I turned 70 this year, so my goal is to do that 70 mile ride in August!

I've also discovered the Strava app and it has been helpful to keep my rides interesting, tracking my continued improvement through segments, and seeing where I stand in the 70 yr old bracket ;-)

Friends and LBS owners tempt me with carbon and aluminum, index shifting, cleats and so on, but I'm just enjoying the steel and toe clips for now...it's really the only 'serious' bike I've known and have resisted offers to ride a 'modern' bike ;-) Better save the $ for some good hearing aids!

So it's been like connecting with an old friend with whom you've had a lot of past history, and getting to know them again after a long break. Now it's a question of who will conk out first, me or the bike!