Old 12-21-13, 08:28 AM
rideorglide

Bikes: Leader 780-R; Rockhopper FSR;Trek 660; Kona Blast Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I think one of the things missing in the life of many "modern day" folks is the opportunity for real solitude. For some the only solitude they know is driving to and from work with the radio on. I suspect the idea of spending time with just self and the thoughts that exist when there are no outside demands for our attention by others can seem foreign to some. Yet, on a daily basis we are bombarded by demands from others to pay attention to the things they direct us towards. Coming to truly know who and what you are is challenging when you constantly get messages directing your attention here, there, and everywhere, Having, in my view, the luxury to sort out one’s own mind is achieved more easily with solitude. It is one of the major reasons I ride and that the majority of my rides are alone.
:thumbs: I wonder how difficult this might become for my children's generation - they are constantly responding to stimulation from Facebook etc. Maybe one day in the future there will be a big renaissance in spending quality time alone, outdoors, away from screens? Not holding my breath though. alright, GTG to physical therapy (neck), if I want to have a hope of riding again (or avoiding surgery).