View Single Post
Old 06-10-15, 08:15 PM
raymond1354

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VintageRide
There is one issue I am hoping to resolve and it involves the headset or more specifically the head tube. When I initially inserted either cup they were loose in the head tube. As a temporary measure I wrapped some masking tape around the shoulder area that goes into the head tube. It seems to work for now and is tight, took some effort to get them in but would like a more permanent solution. I do not know what happened as the inner part of the head tube does not look like it was reamed or enlarged from what I can see. Perhaps somehow flaring out that part of the cup so it would fit better. I have never run into this sort of thing before and of course I do not want to use anything that would make it very difficult or impossible to remove a cup.
I have never run into this sort of problem specifically, but have with the crown race on a fork (and a few other places like worn handlebars in stems that could never be tightened adequately). One solution that I came across (Sheldon Brown?) was to score the the steerer slightly with a hammer and chisel. The small nicks created a surface with small projections so that the race needed to be pressed on (albeit more easily than usual) and was held securely. I tried to make the nicks symmetrical. It worked well and I went touring with that bike.

Hope this helps.
r