Old 11-05-16, 08:40 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tcon123
I've seen some YouTube videos lately and there seems to be a trend on this topic. Walmart and Canadian tire bikes are good... For the money. The problem is assembly. The assemblers are paid by the bike and it shows.
In general, they're not good. Don't take my word for it, though. Do a little research on what's good and what isn't when it comes to components, then take a close look at Walmart's offerings. You'll find that they're generally heavy and built with low-end parts. The bikes won't necessarily fall apart, but you may be stuck dealing with excess weight, poor braking, and drivetrains that won't stay in adjustment. They're built to a price point, and the cost-cutting doesn't stop at the lack of trained assemblers.

Originally Posted by Tcon123
I would like to spend 600-800 on a good road bike. Not a racer. Something whose primary purpose is pavement but that can hit the trails a few times a year.
What's typically referred to as a "road bike" isn't something you'd take on the trails at all. New "road bikes" tend to have little frame and fork clearance for the wider tires you'd want to be running off-pavement. A few decades ago, it was more common for road bikes to have more tire clearance, but nowadays, road-ish bikes with tire clearance tend to carry niche labels/purposes like gravel bikes or cyclocross bikes.

If you don't want or need drop bars (curved handlebar) typically found on road bikes, hybrids often sell at a lower price point. They typically have more clearance for fatter tires. Select a wide tire with a pavement-friendly tread pattern (in other words, not knobbies) and you'll have your pavement bike that can also do a little trail riding.

Someone above mentioned previous model year bikes or closeouts. Timing's actually pretty good to look for those kinds of deals. November isn't exactly peak season for selling new bikes, so shops may be willing to mark down inventory just to get it out the door. Turn depreciating inventory into cash and floor space for next year's bikes.