Old 09-04-19, 12:13 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
That's the official speed limit on the GAP. Assuming they added that verbiage to make it abundantly clear that just because you can more easily exceed that on an e-bike doesn't mean you are allowed to. I am sure I was guilty of speeding the first time I rode it, at least when descending into Cumberland.
That makes sense if what they're saying is that ebikes are meant to obey the speed limit, and I gather that is what they're saying since it says "utilized speed." It's just a rather roundabout way to say that and makes it sound like they might define an ebike as being capped at 15mph. Some ebike restrictions do mention that the electric assist cannot be used over a certain speed, but generally they don't restrict the bikes from going faster than the top assisted speed. But speed limits remain the same whether you have, use, or do not have an electric assist.

But, yeah, descending into Cumberland, my speeds were likely determined by how fast I felt was safe, not by any awareness of my current speed and the existing speed limits. Still probably didn't exceed 15 mph on a fully loaded bike, but I probably would have if travelling without gear.