Old 05-15-10, 09:51 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Tire (not tube) Repair

No, I'm not asking about how to fix a flat. I actually want to fix a problem with my tire.

I'm going to tell the whole sad tale, but if you aren't interested, skip to the picture and read the question that follows....

Not long ago, I posted about how much I loved the ride of my new Schwalbe Ultremo R.1 tires. I said that I wasn't sure how much I'd be able to keep myself from commuting on them. Some sage BF member (achoo) forecasted that I would be cured of that when nasty commuting conditions started flatting my nice racing tires. Almost.

I have kept myself from using these tires when the roads are wet, but that wasn't enough. After about 150 miles, I hit a patch of glass that I couldn't safely avoid, and it took a chunk out of my tire. No big deal, I fixed the flat and rode home.

Fast forward to today. I pumped the tires up this morning and went out for a 50 mile ride. When I got home and was cleaning up, I noticed that the rear tire pressure was low. So, I felt around for something stuck in the tire -- nothing. So I decided to probe the place where the tire was previously ripped to see if anything was stuck in there. I grabbed an awl, and at the gentlest touch (really), I hear "pssssssssssssss....." Oops. That's bare tube there!

So, here's the picture:

I love these tires, and I haven't even put 300 miles on them yet, but I can't very well ride around with unprotected tube showing. So the question...

What can I do to repair this tire?

I thought about putting a tube patch on the back of it and then filling the hole with rubber cement. Does anyone have anything better than that?