Old 07-04-13, 02:56 AM
LongSheeep

Bikes: Current: 1998 Bianchi Mega Ti, 2014 Hetchins Magnum Opus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How to remove an extremely seized bottom bracket?

Hello,

I have purchased a used titanium frame with a very stuck bottom bracket.
The frame and the late 90s Campagnolo Record BB are both English threaded, so I am pretty sure it is not cross-threaded.
However, I believe the BB cups have oxidized on the threads, even though the surface seems to be in good shape.

My LBS (in Hong Kong) tried to remove the BB with their Chinese made tools, but the handle simply snapped in half.
I have tried to soak the BB with penetrating oil and later ammonia, with no effect.

Reading on the internet, I believe the only way to remove to BB is by using destructive methods.
I have read about drilling holes on the BB and then hack-saw the BB from the center to the threads, cutting it up like a cake. This seems to be the safer method, but I have no access to a drill press. Can standard power drill go through the BB cup?

I have also seen people removing alloy BBs by soaking the frame in caustic soda. I know it works for steel frames, but would caustic soda (NaOH) damage titanium?
The frame is 3Al-2.5V if that matters.

It took me 2 years to find this frame in my size, so I am not giving up on it! Please help! Thanks!

- Roland