View Single Post
Old 08-20-19, 05:55 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
My new Bianchi Pista

I just purchased a Pista Chrome, very good price so I could not turn it down. New to SS but love the Pista and really impressed with it. I have quite a few bicycles but my first of this kind. It is what I would call a 56cm frame, based on the C/C top tube and it has the track type (Pista) drop bar. But, one thing, I notice the stem is 120mm long. Most of my bicycles that I have owned through the years of this similar size are equipped with a 100mm stem. It seems awfully long and I was wondering why such a long stem on a medium size bicycle. Then I realized, well, it has no hoods. I usually ride, most of the time, on the hoods, as do many on drop bar bicycles. And it occurred to me that the lack of hoods is made up for by the extra length of the stem placing the inside curve of the bars close to the same position as would be my hands on the hoods (though a bit lower).

That aside, I have ordered new Mavic Open rims, a new alloy headset, Cinelli alloy Pista bars (it has steel bars!), a Velo Orange 100mm stem (with shim), Conti GP tires and lightweight tubes. These things will make a nice dent in the weight budget. Trying to decide what pedals I want for it now. I think I can get this bike down around 18 pounds.

Things I notice about the Pista are the high bottom bracket, steep seat tube and somewhat slightly more relaxed head tube angle. And the main tubes are double butted ChroMo and are hydro-formed. The bike is stiff and the frame is super straight and the bicycle is very responsive. I have seen and ridden the Kilo TT and no cut on the Kilo, I like the Pista little better. I was planning to purchase a Kilo when the Pista popped up on a back rack in a bike store I stopped into. I rode it around on a test and decided I liked it at least as well, actually better.

Last edited by Loose Chain; 08-21-19 at 06:05 PM.