Old 07-21-20, 09:53 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Don't know about 2 wheelers, but my recent entry into this world shows me that trikes are much slower than DF road bikes. On my Catrike Eola, I work hard to get above a 15 mph average over terrane that is fairly flat, whereas on the same route I could do 18 mph on a road bike without too much effort and 19-20 if I work at it. Part of the difference is that I"m not fully adapted to the different muscle demands of the trike. I think I could get a little faster after a time, but not dramatically so.

Wheel size matters, btw.

In addition to being intrinsically slower, I find that the lower maneuverability and visibility reduces my average speed. I can't whip through turns and corners on the trike. If I see a traffic light that's about to go from green to yellow, on the road bike I can add power and accelerate through before the light turns red. On the trike, both visibility and the lack of accelerating power mean that I'm going to stop.

If you care about speed, probably a 2 wheel recumbent is a better bet. The trike has its place, though, and is kind of fun.
You pretty much figured it. You're using different muscles, and it takes a while to adjust.

I went recumbent in 2011 at the age of 43, and it was ~3 good years of riding before my 2 wheel bent was the same speed as my old road bike. That's just commuting and fun rides, I'm not much into training or having a strict regimen. That could definitely be shortened with a concerted training effort.

Now, almost a decade later, my 2 wheel bent is probably 3-4 mph faster, and on level ground, my velomobile is a good 6-8 mph faster.