Thread: Cook stove fuel
View Single Post
Old 02-05-21, 11:12 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
I do not know how you plan to get to and from your starting and ending points, but if you are new to liquid fuel stoves, I am sure that you are aware that you can't take the fuel on an airplane. But if your stove or any other stove parts like fuel bottles smell like fuel, they might be confiscated which you probably did not know.

I went through the hassle of cleaning out my fuel bottles for an international trip in 2016, decided that after that I will always bring stoves that use the butane mix type cansisters that I buy localy.

When I came home from my Maritimes trip (summer 2019), the Canadian airport security staff saw my butane mix camp stove on the X ray, asked me to pull it out of my pack, which I did. The security agent said if she could smell anything she had to confiscate it. She smelled it, did not smell any fuel, and handed it back to me to pack. Butane cannister stoves do not smell of fuel, that is why I only use those now when I fly somewhere.

If you fly to the west coast and stay at a motel there, you could probably ship your stove to the motel in advance. And ship it home at the end of your trip from the east coast. That way the stove does not go through airport security screening.

More info here:
https://www.msrgear.com/blog/flying-...camping-stove/

The last time I did carry a liquid fuel stove on a plane, it was an Optimus Nova. It was in my carry on, but the fuel bottles were in my checked luggage. They saw it on the X ray, took the stove out to inspect it. that stove has pot supports that on an X ray apparantly look like a saw blade, the agent felt the pot supports and said that it was not sharp enough to be a weapon and that was it for the inspection, I did not lose the stove.

The stove with the saw blade pot supports in the photo below, I am heating water for a cup of tea. Ortlieb wind screen.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 02-05-21 at 04:09 PM.