View Single Post
Old 09-19-19, 02:49 PM
willieb

Bikes: 2006 Trek Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I just posted the reply below in another thread. I didn't really care to have navigation and all that since I nearly always ride local. I just wanted to have speed, cadence, and HR, and be able to post to Strava. That's all. I've researched a lot over the past couple weeks and decided to try the phone route. We'll see how it goes but I think it will work out great. I already have the phone anyway and always carry it with me so why not use it. The only time I'd ever want to use navigation is on non-local rides, and I'll have it. Battery should last fine, especially since my iPhone has an OLED and I'll use a black background. On longer rides I can just use a USB battery charger.

Originally Posted by willieb
Well I've used an Edge 305 and a Wahoo RFLKT in the past. I just started back riding and it's time to upgrade. Yesterday I was one click away with my finger on go from buying a Garmin Edge 530 with sensors bundle, but I decided instead to order the Garmin Speed, Cadence, and HR sensors, a phone bike mount, and a phone tether (will tether to bike in case it falls out of the mount) instead. This saved me about $250. I always carry my phone with me anyway.

I've researched and decided on using the paid version of Cyclemeter. I use an iPhone XS Max with Commuter case. It will all be here tomorrow and I can't wait to try it out this weekend. If it doesn't work out then I can just order the Edge 530 by itself. But after looking at Cyclemeter I think it will work out great! I'm not worried about iPhone battery since I have several sizes of the USB batteries.

I'll update here after a few rides and let you know how it all works out.
​​​​​​