Old 12-11-23, 07:33 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 438 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I bought it for the metal crank arm caps and one was missing when I got there. But for $15 bucks I knew the parts I would salvage would more than make up for my time. I did air the tires up and ride it around the block for giggles when I got it home and it rode nicely for the shape it was in.

But to put it back together with new brake pads, cables, bar tape, tubes, tires, rim tape, chain, and saddle would be a waste of money. Let alone the time it would take to clean it up to paint it. With that being said, it will likely be my winter project.
There's a company in Europe (in Poland) which makes copies of various bits and bobs: dust caps, copies of Campy brake cable adjusters, pedal dust caps, branded dust caps, rare-ish tools. Mostly reproductions and, admitedly, a bit on the pricey side in my opinion. I have also seen genuine SR dust caps out there for roughly $15-20. But you know, for $15 it looks like you got good value, the parts are worth several times more. The bicycle looks like a decent ride to restore, especially if you do the repainting yourself. Have fun with the project!
Likes For VintageSteelEU: