View Single Post
Old 04-04-17, 02:36 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Broken rear drop out

So last Sat I went to ride with my team for first time since motorcycle accident last October. Heard some weird ticking noise could not figure it out when stopped. Go to almost 6 miles and my rear derailleur hanger and dropout were broken when I'm guessing the derailleur grabbed a spoke when I shifted into one of my hill climbing gears.

Sent pic to Calfee.

Here is reply:

"We are very selective when choosing to perform repairs that involve integrated carbon dropouts. This is a rather sensitive area, under an enormous amount of stress and has to perform a specific (rear shifting and keeping wheel secure) function.

When dropouts have what I call catastrophic (missing chunks, sheared off areas etc.) type of damage is when we wave the surrender flag. I would say based on the photo that you fall into this category."

I may be replacing frame on the bike that replaced my first bike after a busted carbon chainstay on a 60 day old bike.