View Single Post
Old 01-08-20, 10:41 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt

I may have bitten off more than I can chew with the chain rings. It's now a 52 (Sugino) -39 (SRAM)- 26 (Vuelta) setup from a 52-42-30 previously. The chain rings are all 9-speed compatible, the middle ring is a real middle ring model, and the spacing is good. What I am having trouble with is the derailleur (I think), it shifts up through the gears fairly well but doesn't want to come down at times to the smallest 26t ring. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about switching to thumb shifters here too, but I'm sort of toying around with bars and gears right now. Lotsa climbing and decending around here, hence the wider range.

Also, I fear I am becoming the weird bike handlebar guy I made fun of in my youth. I need to go on some long rides with this setup, but initial impressions are that the wide grip area is comfortable more than I expected, but I am confused on how to climb out of the saddle with this bar. Anyway, going to ride some long rides on this setup before casting judgement.