View Single Post
Old 01-11-20, 03:04 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
I've been considering selling my Emonda frame and replacing it with a LeMond Washoe. I've got a LeMond Croix de fer that I really enjoy, but would like a more modern steel bike. Does anyone know of any Washoes on the market? The usual FB Marketplace/Craigslist/eBay searches have turned up nothing.
I have an older LeMond Zurich built of Reynolds 853 oversize steel tubing. I would estimate the weight difference between that and a Washoe at 1 lb. From experience I can tell you that the Zurich is the best bike I've ever ridden. It handles perfectly under all conditions wet or dry. I have no fears of a catastrophic failure for which carbon bikes are no longer "prone" but does occasionally occur through the fact that most carbon bikes are made in China and quality control isn't the first priority. (But remember that some of the best carbon bikes in the world are built there.) I keep seeing people saying that Trek frames are made in Madison, but I also saw 3 Treks and a Gary Fisher crack near the bottom bracket. This wasn't a catastrophic failure by any stretch of the imagination but it did require the time to get and replace the frame with their lifetime warranty. Though thoughts of Madone SL's do flit through my head......