Old 02-22-19, 08:04 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by CodyDog
I enjoy visiting and dealing with the local bike shops. Recently I have visited many in Austin/Dallas/Houston/Fredericksburg while searching for my next bike. Fortunately I travel these areas for business so my access to them is vey convenient.

With that being said, I have found a great value in visiting and talking with knowledgable people and hearing about their experiences. Most shops here offer a year of maintenance with a purchase.I see a tremendous value in that alone. I am in favor of supporting small local business even at a higher cost in most cases where I see a value added service and they have the product I want.

The internet is a great place to obtain knowledge and is a good resource but my need and desire for a LBS is not decreased by the stroke of a key pad.
If your bike has reliable components and frame/fork, the "free year of maintenance" is totally unnecessary.

If anything electronic components require even less maintenance.

Not to mention, a comparable bike online will cost thousands less negating any benefit from a $10 derailleur tune once a year.