Old 07-07-19, 06:03 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
Very nice example of the precursor to the IM (Ironman) series.

The brake calipers and large chainring where probably anodized black. Colors in anodized aluminum are created using light stable chemical dyes which soak into the porous anodized surface. There are several processes for creating the black color and some of them are fade resistant but apparently these components weren't made that way. The hubs have faded a little too.

There were several wall thickness specs published for Tange # 1 tubing. The correct dimensions were top and down tubes .8mm x .5mm x .8mm thick while the seat tube was .9mm x .6mm x .9mm. Tange # 2 tubing was a few grams heavier and had .9mm x .6mm x .9mm top and down tubes which made it about the same specs as Columbus SL tubing.

BTW, $125 is Grand Theft Bike!

verktyg
Many of the bits were bronze-colored, as were the hubs on most I've seen. I think the dork disk was bronze, too. I see the catalog page shows black, as well as the OP's hubs being black. I've never seen one with black bits before. Those hubs are super smooth, and worth an overhaul if you ride it OEM.

Check out the font on his DT decal. First I've seen that one on a Turbo.

I may be wrong, but if I recall, the seat post was 26.8, but I'm old, addled, and could well be remembering something totally different.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 07-07-19 at 06:07 PM.