Old 09-19-20, 05:43 AM
oldernwiser
Experienced Oldie

Bikes: 3 (commuter bike, racing bike, and mountain bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A much better way to go (50+ years)

Originally Posted by InvertedMP
So I have been waxing my chain now, using the Silica Secret Chain Wax bag. I am not sure the flaky mess and wax buildup on the cassette afterwards is worth it. I thought the idea of chain waxing was to keep the drivetrain super clean, what am I missing or doing wrong?
For many years I tried WD-40. It seemed to work for a few days. It is a great cleaner, but then with the wax it gummed the chain up and I would re apply. I noticed the same results on other slides etc. thatI tried it on. I then tried a really light oil made by Boeing available at bike shops. It was a huge improvement over WD-40( a wax base).I used this product for many years because the chain even spun much easier especially over the waxes, which were the worst. I even bought a bottle of liquid plastic , (from the local bike shop) a very popular brand, that was supposed to give better protection from dirt and grim, but I just couldn't get myself to try it. It just didn't make sense to gum up my new chain on my brand new ,expensive, bicycle . I saw one of the posts that said He used PTFE mixed with the wax. This would guarantee to plug things up. The whole marketing idea is phoney. The new stuff I am now using, is unbelievably superior when it comes to metal against metal wear. It actually goes right into the metal. I applied it to my nice chain a year ago and it is still running better than when it was new. It has blown my socks off. I have tried it on other things as well, like door hinges and swamp cooler bearings and 3D printer bearings that used to have to be replaced every month are still running after more than two years. I tried it on some old rusted chains on 4 bikes that had sat outside in the weather all winter. They were all kinked up and rusted up. I tried it on them, carefully putting 1 drop on each link. I let them set for 4 days and they act just like a brand new chain and I don't know where the rust went. My wife and daughter are still using the chains with no touch ups from last year. If you don't believe me try your gunk in a lock like I did and watch it ruin it. That is why I used to use only graphite pwd in a lock till I learned about this lube that I am currently using. I have now tried it in all of my outside -in-the-weather locks. Some of them have been lubed for 2 years now and they still work like a charm. But back to bike chains, wouldn't you want something that actually cuts down on the wear? That is what lubrication is for. I even tried some regular engine oil because we use it to lubricate our car engines to help them last longer, but I found out it doesn't work so good for bike chains as it is too heavy and slowed me down, as well as being messy and just spinning off.

I would give the name of the stuff I am currently using but I don't know if I would be violating the terms and conditions for this website. Any feedback? Thanks.

Last edited by oldernwiser; 09-19-20 at 05:48 AM.