View Single Post
Old 10-17-13, 12:58 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mstraus
I am curious - when you say not a quick as a road bike, now much so? How noticeable is this? i am looking to move from a road bike to something more like the Vaya but wondering how much the heavier less aggressive bike will really impact my speed and commute time. Also, what size tires do you run on yours? Seems like the bigger tires with increased rolling resistance could have a big impact on speed.
It's just a heavier bike with a more upright geometry. Most of the speed loss seems to be in starts and stops at lights, trying to get up to full speed again, and on hills. The time actually lost on my long commute is almost irrelevant, in comparison to a light road bike.

I'm currently running the stock 700X40 Schwalbe Marathon Mondials that shipped with the bike. They're awesome tires. Great traction, and almost zero tread wear after 5,000 miles. Perfect for fire roads and MUPS and hauling heavy loads.. They even pump up to a reasonably high pressure. But like I said, they are heavy. I'd like to try out the 700X35 version of the Mondial.