View Single Post
Old 08-09-19, 05:28 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
re the shifters, they'll be Tiagra 9spd ones, perfectly good shifters--however, given their age, its worth doing a good spraying of the inner workings, done from outside the shifter simply by moving the lever as if to do a full sweep shift and aim the nozzle of a product like "Jig-a-Loo" copiously into nooks and crannies. Shift it a bunch of times over and over, spray again.
Dont know if you Yanks get JigaLoo, but its probably a silicone type lube, ie it isnt greasy, and it dries out very quickly, so dripping stuff isnt an issue in a minute, so spray the heck out of it.

the inner workings of shifters, whether sti or trigger shifters on flat bars, all use grease to lubricate the inner workings. This grease hardens over time, and while its easy to regrease trigger shifters that sometimes allow a cover to be removed , exposing the inner workings, sti shifters are done easier with these types of sprays.

BUT the sprays arent as long lasting as grease, BUT its really easy to just respray again, takes a minute or so.
I do this with my 10 year old tiagra sti shifters, maybe do it twice a season, and it keeps everythng moving easily and smoothly.

up to you if yoiu want bar ends, but these shifters work fine and doing the "shift and hold as far as you can to expose the openings to spray into" trick is so easy, just look into getting a can of the type of lube I referred to.

other Americans here can probably recommend a similar product