Old 07-09-20, 01:11 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
1. Ilio-tibial band syndrome of the right knee early on in my cycling days six years ago. I was riding with the seat too high and it was causing my right side to pull too much. That required physical therapy for a month. I keep doing the stretching exercises today.
2. Commuting to work by bike, my front tire hit a rut between the grass and sidewalk. When I finally turned out of it, I turned too hard and ran straight into a stockade fence. Fortunately the front steel fork absorbed some of the shock and was bent back about an inch. I lunged forward and badly bruised some ribs on the upper horizontal wooden part of the fence. I also scarred my chest with two nice parallel diagonal skin burns. My wife came and picked me up. Work was not fun for a few days, and the pain finally subsided about a month later. X-rays showed no broken ribs, so I may have either bruised them or fractured the cartilage (which won't show up on X-ray).
3. The rider that was two people in front of me during a group ride clipped the back wheel of the person in front of her. She went down and I only saw the butt right in front of me move to the left. I finally saw her go down, and the last thing I remember was trying to avoid her. I was unconscious for 3.5 minutes. Fortunately one of the other riders was a podiatrist and noticed I wasn't breathing. I was face down, and he forced the others to help him gently roll me over. Once they did that, I started breathing. My Cycliq Fly 6 caught the whole thing. I wasn't breathing for about 80 seconds. Without him, I may be dead right now. I gave him a roll of Lifesavers on the 1 year anniversary October 12. I had my first (and only) ambulance ride to the ER. CAT scan showed my brain still intact. I was "not myself" for about a week. I felt better but had a neurology consult just in case. Knowing I was OK, I made my wife come to the visit just so I could ask the doctor in front of her if I could go back to riding. When the doctor said yes, I looked at my wife and asked, "Did you hear that?" On my way home from that appointment, I stopped at my LBS and got a new helmet. To this day (21 months later) I have a nickel sized tattoo from the asphalt that is buried in my face, just below my right eye.
4. My low back went out from over training and not doing my stretching exercises this past April when less work due to COVID shutdown meant more cycling. My own fault.

Last edited by Bassmanbob; 07-09-20 at 01:23 PM.