Old 09-24-06, 06:17 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
At my peak, I was insulin dependent. I am still technically diabetic, but completely regulated now. Sugars run between 73 and 103 on avg now with 73 @ fasting. 103 is peak. I actually have to be careful about low blood sugar now. My intake is strictly regulated by my activity level. For example, on a long ride, I may take in 6000 calories in a day, but I'm still operating at a deficit that is quite significant with an output of up to three times that on for example my 160 miler in one day over Labor Day Weekend.
160 miles in one day, is a heck of a nice distance, if you ever decide to visit us in Toronto, they have a ride called the Hair Shirt, 200 miles in one day, takes place in June. I am planning on riding it, probably not next year, need a drop bar road bike for that and I don't have one, and about 3,000 more training miles. It was tough getting back on a bike after 20 years, and after a serious MTB crash in April, it was even tougher, tough enough that this clyde (175cm tall, and 95kg), decided that mountain biking was not my cup of Earl Grey, and that road riding would suit me better. Since I can't afford another bike right now, I am planning on doing some conversion work on the one I have, slick tires, fenders, a rear rack, then I can use it for commuting, and that should help the mileage quite a bit. Then maybe pick up a road bike next year .

As to weight, I would like to end up around 75 - 80kg (alas no longer a clyde).