Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked 1,308 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by riceowls
Thanks - NE area sounds good. Any recommendations for the base area -- something lively, i.e. we can easily walk or ride to the restaurants/stores?
Hmm...maybe look for an AirBnB (etc.) in The Foothills that's within walking distance of North Campbell Avenue either where it crosses East Skyline Drive, or where it crosses East River Road. Either of those intersections (and 1/4 mile in any direction from them) offers lots of gastro-entertainment and shopping.

Originally Posted by riceowls
Also, wouldn't the northern part of the loop be better to go eastbound, e.g. to Saguaro or Colossal Cave?
Oh, sure, if you use the Loop for most of your East/West travel you don't have to worry about car traffic or ugly urban sprawl! I didn't mention it simply because a lot of serious roadies find MUPs a bit ...I dunno, boring maybe? But I'm perfectly happy riding it any time I don't have a workout agenda.

Originally Posted by diphthong
my experience is that farther ne past the u of a is better for cycling starting/ending points but not as good for cycling widows/hubbys/so's or post-ride endeavors.
That is true, especially if you or your SO don't have a car.