View Single Post
Old 07-26-19, 07:19 PM
matt92037

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
So true. I have not bought a complete bike since 2004. If you are adept at getting great prices on build kits from abroad it is not hard to build an equivalent bike for less money. It really, really helps if you can build your own wheels!!

Originally Posted by CarloM
Interesting. I have often heard "it's cheaper to buy the bike built" but the Domane 2020 pricing may not line up with that. The SLR frame is $3299. The cheapest SLR Di2 is $8299, so $5000 more. That's about how much I paid for my Cannondale SuperSix Evo Di2 (4th of July sale) + upgrades to a Bontrager Montrose Pro carbon saddle, Ultegra crankset (to replace Cannondale SI+FSA), Bonty Pro 3 carbon wheels and tubeless tires, Dura-Ace chain and brake rotors.

I could have my LBS move the transmission and wheels over to the new frame, buy handlebars and seatpost, and still have a SuperSix frame with the OEM wheels+tires, seat, crankset and handlebars to either eBay for cost recovery or spend a little bit to build a second non-Di2 bike (maybe 105 or standard Ultegra).

Nope. Not gonna do it. Can't think like that. I can hear the wallet crying.