View Single Post
Old 01-21-14, 04:51 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GFish
Wow, is this mountain biking tough or what. I simply was not prepared or in shape to ride those hills with wider tires and a heavier bike. Anyone else have a similar story switching from road to mountain bikes? Any advice?
Yes - keep doing it. Nice changeup to appreciate how fast and smooth our roadbikes are.

Heh, pretty funny. Same thing here - I picked up a mtb for winter riding, and took it out on the snow covered singletracks. Also rode on the lake a bit. Ya, that's hard work. Rolling resistance is ridiculous with 15 lbs in 26 x 2.1 tires. You gotta try pedaling uphill around a tree so tight you couldn't bend your road bike frame to fit. I might have gone 6 - 8 miles, and as much fun as it was decided to quit before I had to walk the bike out of the woods. But man those slight downhill runs on the snow trail through the trees is a total blast.

Can you believe some of these mountain bikers ride the trails standing up most of the way? Ugh.

FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.