Old 07-16-14, 10:11 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
The only Loctite product that should be used for BB30 installation is retaining compound. Do not use traditional Loctite thread locker products. With no threads, they are useless for this application. You need retaining compound, which is designed for exactly this application, retaining bearings and bushings in machined surfaces. I use Loctite 603, green, which is a medium strength compound, applied in four equally spaced dots inside the BB shell. No creaks, and the bearings pop right out after a couple of whacks with the Park tool. I don't understand why a BB30 shell would need to be faced as the outer edge is not involved like with a threaded BB shell.
Thanks for the green Loctite explanation, helps. I used blue and red at different times, but those are thread related compounds.

Machining - the Tsunamis are aluminum frames and the BB shell was machined prior to welding, not after. This leaves the shell significantly distorted. I could see daylight outside of parts of the bearing and in other spots the bearing simply wouldn't go in. I filed the tight spots but without any precision. With the facing tools it's a bit better but the stretched parts are obviously not going to shrink.

I was even thinking of having a machine shop machine some thin steel cups to slip into the appropriately machined BB shell. This way I'd know the bearing seat surfaces were parallel/perpendicular. With the facing tool work it's been much better so I've left it for now.

WIth mass production frames the shell is machined after welding.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson