View Single Post
Old 02-23-15, 04:08 PM
duckbill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
I walked to work, about 8 miles. We had rain, sleet and snow last night. Things were pretty messy.

I got up at 3 am to prepare for being at work at 9am. I figured that with the rain and sleet freezing overnight that the streets would be a hilly ice rink. I walked the distance last week after 2" of sleet fell in 3 hours, I figured I'd better allow 4 this time. By the time I had to leave for work at 5am to, walk there on time on icy roads, the bus company still had not announced their plans. I don't have studded tires for my bike, so I figured that tackling the icy streets on foot was the best plan.

It was slick in the apartment driveway, but when I got to the street I got a surprise. The asphalt was clean and dry. In the whole trip there were only a few icy spots. I could have pedaled. I was angry at myself.

Halfway to work I got passed by the bus, it wasn't on a snow route, so I could have taken it. If I only had known.

Coming home though was more predictable. They had said that it would snow starting at 1 pm and it did. Since I knew that the buses were running I headed to the nearest bus stop. Happily, it's on a snow route and so is my apartment. After a cold 45 minute wait the bus came and lumbered to the Transit Center where the bus home was just about to leave for which I was very grateful.
For the size of Little Rock your "Central Arkansas Transit Authority" should be ashamed of themselves. The public transportation system there seems like they want everybody to drive cars. Sorry you had to wait 45 minutes for a bus.