Old 07-16-18, 10:06 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I woke up one day and I was OLD !!!
Originally Posted by TBeghtol
Howdy all. On again off again cyclist as work… Just had major surgery to abdomen to correct some of those issues and still recovering from that. Also ended up with a (hopefully) temporary colostomy which is taking some getting used to.

Anyway have two true and faithful bicycles in the stable.…Next is a Specialized Roubaix that I got before everything turned in disc brakes, etc. Really nice bike that I will ride in morning and on weekends when I can.

Since I am still gimpy and lacking strength form being in hospital for about 6 weeks I am just now getting on the bike gingerly. I notice that my flexibility is seriously reduced from the hospital stay, as well as endurance.

Glad to be heading back into the swing of things. Going to be slow but will get there.
All the best, and thanks for the great forum.

Tim Beghtol
Originally Posted by wgscott
One thing I found really helpful when recovering from surgery (a lot less dramatic than yours) was to have an indoor trainer I could stick the bike on. This allowed me to regain confidence and range of motion under very controlled circumstances, and it made the transition back to roads a lot easier.

Best of luck with your recovery, and I hope you are home for good now. Congratulations on surviving that!

I'm still really young. Turned 55 this year. (Why me?) Still, far better than the alternative.
Originally Posted by pursuance
I know the feeling of waking up old Tim. Best of luck on the recovery and I do hope it is temporary. An old desert m/c riding friend has one full time, so I know the details.

I'm 71 and recovered from a bad bicycle shunt last year. Fractures in the left scapula, two left ribs, bruised lt. lung. It took 90 days before I was able to power-walk three miles and do stairs w/o using the handrail.

A book to consider reading after reading some reviews, 'Younger Next Year.'

John
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
18 years ago this past Tuesday I woke up, went into the bathroom, looked in the mirror and said to that half century old guy looking back,

You have most likely lived longer than you have left to live. You will most likely be diagnosed with cancer some time before you die. Suck it up since you are now old and get on with getting on as long as you can!!!

Still alive and just had another cancer treatment so I'm batting .500 right now. And as for the following bolded words......

..... there are times I wish I hadn't opened my eyes to life and honestly it wouldn't bother me if that happened.
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
I wake up every day and I am old. I have no alternative and it beats not waking up.

Luckily I don't wake up every day feeling old.
Dittoes to all the well-wishes above, and condolences to those with health problems. I had my epiphany with getting old at age 62 after a serious bike accident that put me in an acute care hospital for two weeks, rehab hospital for four weeks, off work for three months, and off the bike for five months (but I did buy a Specialized S-works (Roubaix) after my Bridgestone RB-1 was totaled).

I have previously posted about retirement and old age, FWIW:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Retirement!
I’m a few years away from retirement, but it is starting to loom large. Nice set of tips, @jppe, and my comiseration to those with health problems (IMO cycling can be an effective preventive maintainence). I too like my rewarding job, psychically and financially, and I want to establish an inheiritance for the children…

My cycling lifestyle is important to me and retirement vis-à-vis cycling poses a dilemma.
I previously replied to this thread on the Commuting Forum, "How to motivate myself to ride when I'll no longer be commuting to work?"...

Just yesterday a colleague asked me when I was going to retire. I suggested a number of years, adding, "I like my job, and it’s a convenient place (and distance) to bike to."
And,
…Since you brought up mortality…On a few threads on BF, I posted about how I live my ante-mortem life:
Ever contemplate your mortality on the road?

Actually, in one of my most serious contemplations of mortality, the Road served as a relief:
My magic moment when I realized what makes cycling fun (important) to me was at a lunch with two doctors about 20 years ago. We got to talking about the vicissitudes of life, like sudden death, or trivial symptoms as harbingers of a serious disease. We eventually came around to that old chestnut to live life to the fullest everyday.

As we were leaving, the surgeon, a marathon runner, said, “Well, any day with a run in it is a good day for me.” I was already an avid cyclist and cycle commuter, and that clicked with me, any day with a ride in it is a good day for me.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-16-18 at 11:09 AM.