View Single Post
Old 11-25-18, 10:08 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts

I was meaning your double setup, I thought you still had it, but no matters.
When and if you do some loaded up touring with the Troll, the 10 sp. stock setup I mentioned is pretty versatile as is, and the parts are regular deore stuff that are reasonably priced, but thats up to you to balance what costs they come to. Used stuff is always also a possibility.
Here is the gearing chart for the stock setup, 10 speed, with 1.5 inch tires on it. 18-109 g.i.
and the chart for my 9 spd mtb crank setup, which works fantastically for mountainy riding and more of a heavy load, ie the 32 mid ring is great, but as I mentioned earlier in this thread, the stock deore 48/36/26 is an extremely versatile and user friendly setup with the 36 ring being a great size, plus you can change the 26 to a 24 or even 22 easily.
But dont forget, I was happy to use 9 speed because I figured it was a good idea for where I was travelling for perhaps having an easier time finding 9 spd stuff, also I was carrying more weight than usual because I was in Latin America, and also I knew that there would be some really steep stuff sometimes, so wanted the mtb crank to have lower gearing overall--- if not for this stuff, I would have been happy using 10 speed and given how easy it is to lower the current 10 speed triple setup low gear with just a cheap granny gear change, the 10 speed Deore triple setup on the stock troll, or LHT or other touring bikes, is a very good setup for touring in general (minus the fact that you cant use 10 speed brifters with 10 mtb setups).