View Single Post
Old 03-30-19, 11:16 AM
den458

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE: I bailed on the mid-drive approach for my SUN EZ-1 recumbent, I bought a 20" rear geared 36V500W kit, disc-brake capable, with PAS, throttle, color LCD & brake handles. I decided to stay in my comfort zone, using a kit approach I'm familiar with.

A factor was what I'd read in a BBS02 user forum about how the mid-drive (with torque sensor) applies boost vs how a rear-hub-motor kit with cadence sensing applies boost. The forum post described how, with the mid-drive / torque sensor approach, the faster/harder you pedal, the less boost is provided. That sounds good, & if I'd not had an alternative experience with another eBike drive solution, I'd consider a mid-drive.

But with my hub motor / cadence sensor approach, simply pedaling, whether with minimal or great effort, seems to help produce boost to reach a target speed, based on some programmed LCD parameters + PAS level selected.

When my bike reaches that speed I can continue to pedal along easy - making the motor do maybe half of the work, & drawing down the battery at a normal pace.... or.... I can pedal harder to maintain that speed, lessening the work being done by the motor, reducing the battery draw down, thereby increasing the potential range considerably.

AND... if I THEN PEDAL CONSISTENTLY HARD ENOUGH.... hard enough to maintain that speed on my own effort.... indicated wattage drops to near-ZERO.... sometimes my watt-meter indicates 70-some watts, or 30-some watts, or even ZERO watts. If one contributes sufficient effort in the process, one can achieve some remarkable range.

In effect, what I'm actually doing, is using my drive system, the BOOST, to mainly help me arrive quickly at my intended speed, with minimal effort. Then I choose how much pedal effort to apply. How much exercise I get then is my choice, pedal easy for a nice scenic cruise, or pedal hard for an exercise focus, & the range of my system varies accordingly. I prefer this approach - excellent, predictable performance while pedaling as comfortably as I choose, I'm sticking with it.