Old 05-10-19, 05:51 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
That Norco City Glide should be comfortable, especially with swept bars and ergonomic grips.

Check to be sure the palm shelf support is oriented to keep your wrist straight. This can feel odd at first. But it should help. Check the tips on the Ergon grip site.

Ergonomic grips look odd on my albatross bars, and some folks have asked whether it's comfortable set up as shown. It is very comfortable, but they seem skeptical because it looks odd. But after thousands of miles without pain, I know it helps me. I've tried various round grips but none were as comfortable as these bargain priced ergo grips (about $10 at the LBS, and the material feels the same as the Ergon brand, although lacking the locking collar).

I also tip the albatross bar to an angle that ensures a good forearm/wrist angle. Some folks think the grip ends of swept bars should be horizontal, like the product display photos, but I set 'em so they're comfortable for me, not to advertise a product.

But bars and adjustments depend on bike fit. My Univega Via Carisma is technically my size, but at the upper end of my size. I think it's a 58cm frame. I'm 5'11" with 33" inseam, so it's pushing the margin a bit -- 56 would be closer to my optimal size. And that Univega has a longer top tube than seat tube, 59cm, so it's a long reach. It was uncomfortable with the original flat bars, a little better with riser bars, but perfect with the albatross bars. Some folks will trim 1/2" to an inch off the ends of swept bars but I haven't needed to, even with bar end shifters.

I also tried the albatross bar flipped in the old path racer style last summer, but I was still recovering from a shoulder injury and it wasn't comfortable. I might try flipping the bar again later this year after the current round of physical therapy workouts.

With the handlebar in the conventional upright position I'm upright and comfortable using the grips, which is perfect for city riding when I need immediate access to the brakes. But I often lean forward and grip over the brake lever clamp, or even lean into the forward arc of the bars to get a bit more aero and recruit the thigh/hip adductor muscles more efficiently. Lots of hand positions so I'm rarely in one position long enough for anything to get numb or painful.

But bike adjustments may not fix everything. When I resumed cycling in 2015 I hadn't been on a bike 30 years. In 2014 I was still walking with a cane, the result of a 2001 wreck (my compact car was t-boned by a full sized SUV at highway speed). I started with a comfort hybrid and made adjustments gradually as my conditioning, strength and flexibility improved.

Frankly, it's been a long process, much slower than I'd expected. It's taken almost four years of regular PT to get back to being comfortable enough on a road bike to ride longer than an hour or around 20 miles. And there are still days when I prefer the Univega with swept bar for longer moderate paced and group rides.

If I'd just stopped with the comfort hybrid and did no physical therapy -- lots of stretching and strengthening exercises without weights, mostly using resistance or body weight -- I'd still be riding that comfort hybrid for only 3-5 miles a few times a week, huffing and puffing for breath, walking up hills instead of riding. No amount of just riding a bike was going to improve the other stuff -- neck pain, hand and elbow pain, back pain, the works.

And being hit by a car last year was a serious setback. I had to commit to routine, regular PT sessions every week, if not every day. And it's been exactly a year and I'm still not where I'd like to be. But I'm doing better.

Univega Via Carisma with long top tube. The albatross bar provides a comfortable reach. The angle helps align my forearms and wrists.

Current incarnation, with zero angle road bike stem rather than original angled stem. Same length, but effective length a bit longer with the horizontal stem.

Palm shelf rests angled slightly upward to keep my wrists better aligned. Took only a couple of rides to adapt to.
Likes For canklecat: