horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
OK, my misunderstanding. Dropping the timeline back ten years, I'll still put my money on Dura Ace, although not by the large margin it was ten years later.

Back in 73-74, I had two main rides: The aforementioned all-Campy Gitane, and a World Voyageur that I modified somewhat for touring. Changed the wheels to sew-up rims (yes, for touring, they worked quite well, back then the difference between 27x1-1/4 clinchers and sew-ups were that vast), added fenders, bag racks, and a set of three Cannondale panniers. Both bikes had bar end shifters, the Gitane's was Campy, of course.

I still liked the Shimano Crane setup better than the Campagnolo. No, the action wasn't clearly superior like ten years later, but it worked as well, handled a much wider gear range (of course I had the long arm setup on the rear), and cost a hell of a lot less. Not having been the SunTour junkie like a lot of the guys I rode with in the Presque Isle Bicycle Club, I was a bit behind in catching on with the latest tech, but that Voyageur was the first indication I got that the Europeans (and especially Campagnolo) was in for some serious trouble from the Japanese like, right now.

At that moment in time, I still figured the Huret Jubilee was the setup to beat, but Simplex was still holding firm, and the performance of Shimano was eye opening. Things were definitely changing.
Shimano was definitely a game-changer, like Toyota. BTW, I absolutely LOVE my Shimano 6000-series groupset, even with non-aero brake levers. Can't imagine how Dura Ace 6XXX could be better, except lighter in weight, and maybe hub quality.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports