Old 05-05-14, 06:24 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by delcrossv
I guess you've never met Sebastiaan "I can do 300 watts while holding a conversation" Bowier. A lot of these student athletes are very, very strong. Most Pro "tour" cyclists can't deal with the stability issues of a liner- IIRC there was a team that used a "pro" cyclist,and they did rather poorly. I'm sure someone will stop by with who that was.
I think that kind of demonstrates my point. If you go to the hpdelft website, they show "team members" and "cyclists" there. A quick run-down of the cyclists, cut-n-pasted:
Rik Houwers "has ridden with the peleton elites and obtained remarkable results: he has won time-tracks, arrived 30th at the Dutch championship and 28th in the pref-round in Norway."
Christien Veelenturf "has taken part in various competitions during the past few years. Besides that she also explored the mountains by taking in part in La Marmotte, Trois Ballons and Dolomieten Marathon. Last winter she was active as a cross-country cyclist in the uniform of Restore. This summer she would have been standing at the start as Elite lady for Restore as well."
Sebastiaan Bowier "is an experienced recumbent bike rider, once started on the old recumbent bike of his father. Apart from cycling on a recumbent bike, he is a racing cyclist, mountain biker, wind surfer..."
Wil Baselman's "is a mountain biker and is Dutch Champion Masters 2 and appeared multiple times on the stage of the Dutch Champion Masters 1."
Jan Bos "is especially known from the fact that he was the first Dutch speed skater who became World Champion on the sprint. Although he has shown he is a very good cyclist on an indoor track, he has never trained or competed on a recumbent bike. However, he is used to compete on a high level and his experience as an elite athlete can be of great use in our Human Power Team."
Alwin Visker "is an experienced recumbent cyclist, mostly on a bike with three wheels...Alwin has participated in a lot of recumbent cycling competitions and has finished in the top three of the last three LEL editions. During the Dutch Championships time trial 2011 he became first. Apart from recumbent bike riding, Alwin is very active in the world of tennis. He has his own tennis school and has been in the National top 75 singles and the National top 35 doubles."
Jan Willem Gabriels, "after an impressive career in the Dutch Olympic rowing team Jan-Willem has decided to focus his energy on other things. He remains a sportsman and that is why this project caught his attention. Not only the incredible speeds that can be reached in human powered vehicles but also the tactical aspect of the sports performance triggered his interest."

IE, they seem to have had a good crew of experienced racers and Olympic athletes for the cyclists- not random students- which is exactly what they need to be competitive. And that's what the Arion1 team will need with the bike mentioned in the original post up there.