View Single Post
Old 11-06-15, 04:18 AM
MassiveD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
But seriously I think there are two reasons you don't see what you think you should be seeing out there. One is that, real ultralite tourists can't be separated from people with a daypack strapped to their bikes. How do you know that guy isn't just on his way home? Sure he could be some place that is extremely remote/touristy, but then how does one know he isn't just out for a day or two.

The other reason is I run 4 bags, mostly because I can, but my gear is ultralite, + water, food, spares for the bike, and only a very few bulky if not that heavy items in case there is cold snap, or because my bag isn't down, and so forth. So I don't really look like I am ultralite. Often I don't have any electronics, cooking gear, my toilet or tools kit fit in the palm of one's hand, but cycling isn't backpacking where the only thing outside the pack is a pair of shoes. I carry many light but bulky items, like extra pair cycling shorts with padded crotch, I'm 6'2" so extra clothing like rain suit is almost enough to fill a bag (my panniers are small). I carry crocs, because when cycling I end up in more campsites that I would like, and I think they help with stuff like athlete's foot, and general comfort. So some people have a ton of gear in those packs, and others have basically ultralite gear, with some lightweight bulk.