Old 10-22-17, 12:05 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by ionstorm
Is this a good idea for local masters race night on a budget? Obviously it won't have a UCI sticker, but are they at least UCI legal, if one were to take it to a higher level event where someone would check?
The bottom line is: It's a gamble.

1: The bigger name companies have better quality control. "But they are all made in the same factories by the same hands!!". This may be true. But, the frame that is slightly out of spec that Felt or Specialized may be destroyed and never be sold. A "china carbon" company might sell that same frame ebay for cheap as it's "good enough".

2: If you have issues with a bike you get locally or from a reputable shop, you can simply take it back and have them have the issue fixed under warranty if it is indeed an issue like a slipping seatpost. You'll likely get a new seatpost and/or frame at no charge. I can't see that happening with an ebay frame.

3) If you need replacement parts (an aero seatpost for example that is only made for that bike), it's easier to get one from a big company (assuming your bike is current enough for them to have some).

Unfortunately, older bikes suffer from point 3...even older big-name bikes. Some companies like LOOK are known for having "lack luster" customer service (issue #2 above). I literally could not buy a seatpost from them (LOOK USA or FR). But, I *was* able to get other small parts.

So, it would be wrong for me to say that all ebay bikes are crap. They are not. It's just a gamble. I've known people to gamble and win. And I've known people to gamble and lose.

The best bet is to buy a current generation bike new by a well-known manufacturer from a local shop. That way, if you have *any* issue, you just drive it downtown and drop it off and say, "Let me know when it's ready."