Old 04-27-19, 04:03 PM
BlarneyHammer

Bikes: Invictus, Valeria, Jackie, and Vanguard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
As many have mentioned, that's a fast pace. Certainly possible, but also difficult. If you're a strong rider, it could be fun. If not, probably not. Is there a reason (work, a wedding in SF) you have to finish in 35-ish days?

Your bikepacking setup will definitely help in that regard, in part because it's 6-8 pounds lighter than a racks-and-panniers setup, and also a lot more aerodynamic, which makes an even bigger difference.

Like wgscott said, your setup could be improved by putting cages and dry bags on your fork bosses. You'll have a more balanced ride, and the weight penalty is negligible. It also won't cost much.

As you yourself pointed out, you'll probably have headwind more often than not. I find wind to be the most important condition to deal with, more than hills, heat, rain, etc. If it's not too late to change, consider going the other direction.

I'm assuming you live in Brooklyn, and there's something drawing you to San Francisco? Otherwise I can't imagine why anyone would want to ride a bike in the densest and most expensive cities in the US. Basically the worst possible places to ride.

General advice would take a long time to go through, and I'm sure you've done your homework by now. If you want to know anything specific, let us know!