Old 04-27-19, 06:48 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by rdrumm729
He fellas. In 2 weeks I'll be heading on a 35ish day journey across the country starting in brooklyn and ending in San Francisco. I know that I will experience high winds going east to west, altitude challenges in the rockies, and remote areas in utah/nevada, but what else can I expect to come across? Has anyone done a similar route before and can give any insights?
I am not allowed post a link given my post count but if anyone is interested this is my route/bike setup:
imguy dot com /gallery/OkgA8MD
Well your first mistake was waiting until 2 weeks out before asking for advice. You should have done this last year. So my first advice would be, its never too early to start asking for advice. Nevertheless, what's done is done and cannot be undone. Advice #2 would be to chronicle your sojourn. Keep a journal.

Whether that be audio/visual (ideally) or the old-fashioned written type. That way, you'll always have something concrete to remind you of your journey, and to share with others if you care to do so.

If you choose the A/V route, get actions cameras if you don't already have them. Get as many as you can afford and mount them conspicuously around your bike. Yes, it can be a pain in the neck keeping track of them and charging, etc. but believe me it will be well worth it in the future when you hearken back to the tales of your first cross-country trip.

For safety:

• File a fight plan.
  • Don't take any unnecessary risks.
  • Always be aware of the weather and have the ability to "wait it out" should things turn inclement along the way.