View Single Post
Old 06-17-19, 12:25 PM
dglevy
Dopamine Junkie

Bikes: (1) Giant TCR racing bike, Ultegra/DuraAce groupo. (2) Kastle TT bike, Ultegra groupo.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I think that little step to the nut is specific to Continental. My interpretation is that if you have a rim drilled for Schrader, you can turn the small diameter part of the nut towards the rim to help fill the oversized valve hole. But, in general, it doesn't do much.
As far as tires, I think the tan sidewall cross-hatch tires (gators, gator hardshell, 4S, 4000, etc) tires are all made in Europe. However, the black sidewall tires such as the Continental Sport tires are Asian imports. I still have to find a Continental Tube with yellow writing, and a little rougher surface, but I'd guess those would be European made, but may well be discontinued.
I can understand your dismay, expecting a European manufactured product, and receiving something that may well be made in the same factory as Kenda, and every other brand tube. I wonder what they sell in Germany.
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Schwalbe has them too .... centers the stem in a schrader sized rim hole...
Thanks for the additional info

I'm not actually dismayed about the factories being Asia, I was just concerned about counterfeiting. I bought some 'Eveready' button batteries on Amazon and it turned out they weren't fresh retail batteries and probably weren't Eveready either. (One of the many reasons I call the company Scamazon...)

I always wondered why some of those nuts are stepped and some aren't. Now I know why, thanks. (I had that situation with my commuter bike, didn't know I could just used a stepped nut, bought some small aluminum spacers to adapt schrader rims to presta tubes instead--they worked fine.)
Likes For dglevy: