View Single Post
Old 11-01-08, 12:00 PM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
I've been car-light since I moved to the Bay Area almost three years ago. Everything here is within biking distance and if you get lazy, tired or too drunk to ride there's always public transportation like Caltrain to fall back on. My current job is less than a mile away so biking is the way to go. The previous job was about 40miles from home but both home and work were an easy ride from the Caltrain station.

The cycling culture out here is waaay better than back in the East Coast. The weather, bike lanes and tolerant cage drivers is great unlike Virginia and NC where you had to deal with hot/humid summers, ice storms, narrow lanes with little to no shoulders (never any designated bike lanes) and cage drivers who think you should ride on the sidewalk (if there were even any sidewalks).

I only drive my truck if I need to run errands which require cargo capability, but that may change if I decide to convert one of my bikes to an Xtracycle. Currently, I can only manage two grocery bags with my current rack/pannier setup, but the thought of being able to lug twice that amount with an Xtracycle conversion is getting me excited.