View Single Post
Old 10-22-19, 08:08 PM
Falkon 
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by hefeweizen
If I was buying a commuter now. I would buy this
https://www.prioritybicycles.com/pro...12100300013644
Spitze! That is a one neat bike, though I get a bit nervous about trying to push that 30+ lb weight (before gear) up the hills on my commute. The greater the speed gap between me and the rest of traffic while climbing those hills, the more nervous I get. I understand there is a great range with "no overlap," but that also tells me that each gear may be quite a jump. That sort of sucks when you're carrying weight and trying to stay in a decent cadence. That's something that drove me away from the 1x setups for commuting, though even now I'm mostly riding my old Ciocc with a non-compact double and 6-speed cassette. Climbing is more like mad mashing rather than spinning. I can't deny that this is a very cool bike, though.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
My dream bike isn't living in the slush, nor is it commuting to a job

Given my heart problems I couldn't really use my dream bike, so I guess it's irrelevant. But it would (right now at least) be a premium full suspension mountain bike, which needs a derailleur due to the small change in chain length as the suspension moves.
Apparently this can be considered a little taboo here, but I think this is really a good case for an e-bike. Having ridden one for the first time, I'm now a bit conflicted. My commuter can be a more upright cruiser with big tires, and I can still climb the hills on the way to work at close to 20 mph? It's tempting, but the price alone causes me to relent. Also I kinda like the alertness and endorphine high when I get into work.