View Single Post
Old 10-28-19, 02:12 AM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I had a N360 and will never use a CVT again. It had a feeling like pedaling in a thick syrup. It months later developed a leak and got fluid everywhere and a few months after that developed a pinging sound. I replaced it before it could fail.

For me, I am very happy with a Sturmy Archer 5 speed with built in drum brakes. I even use the drum brake / dynamo front hub. For general commuting at a leisurely pace it's great (I almost never pedal going downhill, I just enjoy the break). I typically average around 15 km/h. I'd honestly stick with a standard chain and just get a chain case. You can go years with no maintenance that way. Contrary to most claims, it does not cause problems unless you remove the wheel often.

Now ideally, I would go with a Shimano nexus 8 premium and the larger drum brake. Problem is such a setup is hard to come by in the states, but super common throughout Europe. I'd still stick with the SA front brake / generator hub though. Nothing beats that for a commuter bike!

For a ready built bike you can't go wrong with a workcycles. Their city bikes start at just over 800 Euros and built to last. WorkCycles Secret Service Mens Bike
Likes For harshbarj: