View Single Post
Old 06-17-19, 10:28 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Have you considered using Presta valve tubes? Schreader valves are adopted from automobile use at much lower pressures. Presta valce were designed for high bicycle pressures (and are easier to pump with hand pumps because you don't have to pump against a spring. (Also there's no loss of air when you pull the pump off. You will hear a hiss but that is air in the pump or hose, not the tube.)
I don't think that most of that is true. Schrader valves are found lots of places besides relatively low pressure automobile tires. Trucks, for instance commonly use around 100psi tire pressure and they use Schrader valves. How about your home air conditioner? Lots higher pressure and they are expected to not leak at all. The pumping against the spring is something else that's never made sense to me. Every Schrader chuck I've ever seen has a little finger that depresses the spring. Losing air when you remove the chuck, however, is an issue that I do believe in. I just don't think you lose very much unless you're a real klutz.

IF YOU HAVE AN AIR COMPRESSOR, Schrader valves beat Prestas all day long. Schrader valves can use a chuck that just pushes against, rather than threads onto, the valve stem. I can inflate a Schrader valve tire while I'm still messing with the Presta chuck.