Old 07-31-16, 07:26 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
did anyone else appreciate the irony here?

@shovelhd's usually our "rues are subject to interpretation" man (which i agree with), and @Doge is the one who tries to apply them more strictly.

are wheel cases actually oversized? i don't have one but have traveled with friends who have them and they don't appear oversized to me.
The wheel case is over-sized. I've only flown with said case a few times. It is a team case and has flown may other trips. Trip back from Czechia Luftansia (Star Alliance) put it in oversize, but did not charge. On the way out United did not put in oversize or charge. I don't see the irony when the counter folks have the discretion. We carry the "rules" and use as needed.

Normally they will charge for a bike. Sometimes they (try to) charge too much and sometimes they charge less. The counter people are given that authority - and some airlines give more of it than others. I also thank United for sponsoring USA Cycling. Most at the counter don't know that. But they like to here it and it may have something to do with not charging - or it may just make them feel good. I don't fly much anymore but have over 1M butt miles. I have the priority and history on United and do get breaks from them. It is fun standing in line trying to profile who will give me the deal and who won't. But in all cases I thank them and am polite and pay if they say pay and don't - if they don't.